Monday, February 6, 2012

You Are Beautiful @ Curved Wall Gallery

In April I will have the opportunity to be part of the installation You Are Beautiful at Curved Wall Gallery.

You Are Beautiful is an installation that will feature the work of 15 artists who will explore how the media is defining our society and who we should be. Each artist was assigned a letter to spell out the words "You Are Beautiful." I was assigned the letter U.

If you've visited my website or followed my work, you'll know I have a strong affection for such themes. In the past, I have explored themes associated with stereotypical female gender roles. While the theme is nothing new to me, the treatment of the work will be. Typically, I have approached these topics in a tongue-and-cheek manner. I've managed to use comedy and sarcasm to make my point.

Not this time.

The goal in creating my letter U will be to challenge myself to approach the subject in an entirely new light.

My mother has accused me of creating art that isn't easily digestible. (She has a point – my themes include mortality, death and religion.) She has argued that the "weight" of my topics make it difficult to see the beauty in my work. But that isn't the point. I want to create a purely beautiful piece this time. Something that will make my mother proud (not blush this time!). I'm considering this a personal challenge.

Beauty isn't the only goal here. I want to embody all the lessons I've tried to teach my daughters...beauty isn't what is on the outside, it's what is on the inside.


Please feel free to leave a comment on this topic. Tell me your definition of beautiful. How does it differ from the main stream media? Or feel free to "like" me on Facebook and leave a message there. I'm interested in including your thoughts with my piece.

During the opening on April 20th, 2012 everyone who is attending will be invited to continue with the installation that night in creating their own message and hanging it alongside my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment